Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I Report

As my own graduation date slowly approaches and I begin to think about what I want or am going to be able to do after college, stories like this are what scare me.

CNN layed off employees, including photographers and staffers in offices across the country. Roughly 50 staffers, many longtime employees of CNN, were given notice on Black Friday. In Stephen Colbert's report, he cites CNN's citizen journalist sector, iReport, as one of the reasons behind the layoffs.

Are citizen journalists slowly taking the place of trained journalists? I hope not. Citizen journalism has its positive aspects, but should stay in its place, as an asset to traditional journalism.

If one of the top news agencies in the United States are laying off longtime staffers, what does that mean for the up and coming, entry level crowd? Should college start to push jobs in independent media more and more, so as to increase the chances of their recent graduates to get jobs? Hopefully with the rise of social media and independent media there is hope for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment